Thursday, August 09, 2012

Birthday Special

I imagine that Bradbury's birthday (22 August) will be a natural focal point for the celebration of the author's life, and I hear various rumours of planned activities for that day. I'm not in the business of publishing rumours, though, so I will only post confirmed and actual events. Here's one:

At 7pm PST on 22 August, California Stage will be presenting a live performance of a 1954 radio play version of "Mars is Heaven!" This is taking place in Sacramento, California. If, like me, you live in a whole 'nother continent, you may prefer to listen to a live audio stream of the show. Full details are here.

I'm not entirely sure which version of "Mars is Heaven!" will be performed, as according to my records there was no 1954 radio version of the story. My guess is that they will use the 1950/1955 Ernest Kinoy script from Dimension X and X Minus One, since this is readily available online. On the other hand, there might be a Bradbury-scripted adaptation from that time which was never broadcast. If I find out, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Jack Seabrook said...

Phil, you might be interested in my article on Bradbury's work for the Hitchcock TV show. http://barebonesez.blogspot.com/

Phil said...

Thanks, Jack. That's a terrific article - I look forward to seeing your coverage of the other Bradbury episodes. I've reviewed a couple of them myself - poke around here on Bradburymedia and you should find them!